Did you know medik8 sunscreen is FREE of artificial fragrance, synthetic colour, paraben, phthalate, alcohol and is cruelty free & vegan friendly.
Our skin is the largest organ of the body and that means we need to do our part in protecting our skin. UV rays are responsible for 80% of skin ageing. Keeping your skin protected from the sun is a key to keep yourself looking younger. Physical sunscreen is a SPF 30 sunscreen that provides broad spectrum protection from UVA (ageing) and UVB (burning) rays. Medik8’s sunscreen is light-weight which absorbs quickly into your skin. This sunscreen is ideal for everyday protection that doesn’t feel like a normal sunscreen, great for a base under your make up. It is reinforced with anti-pollution, anti-infrared and anti-age technologies to shield the skin from environmental factors while preventing lines and wrinkles.
FUN FACT - There are so many myths about both physical and chemical sunscreens. Here's the truth! They both work by absorbing UV light and converting it into heat. Physical sunscreens can actually absorb up to 95% of the UV rays they are protecting you from. The only difference is that physical sunscreen can scatter a small amount (about 5%) of the UV spectrum.
Tips on how to use- Apply every morning at the end of your skin care routine. You can apply this sunscreen before your foundation or put it on after using beauty blender to press into your skin avoiding your eye area. Also don’t forget to apply it on your neck, décolletage and ears. Reapplying during the day for maximum protection is super important because water, sweating and towel drying can remove it. Leave at least 20 minutes to soak in before heading out to the sun. There is make up with sunscreen in it but it isn’t enough!
Zinc oxide & titanium dioxide are mineral UV filters that provide broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
Marrubium vulgare extract is an antioxidant that forms an invisible urban shield on the surface of the skin to prevent damage caused by environmental pollutants.
Carnosine – a protective peptide that is naturally produced in the body, carnosine blocks skin-damaging sugars from binding to collagen in the skin, preventing the formation of wrinkles, while shielding skin from infrared damage.
Thiotaine – an amino acid that occurs naturally in the skin, thiotaine supports antioxidant protection to minimise signs of premature ageing.
The difference between medik8’s sunscreen and others is the choice of filters.
WHAT TO AVOID –
Avobenzone: This is a very common ingredient found in sunscreen but is known to breakdown in sunlight because it can an lose up to 36% of its potential for UV absorption after only 1 hour of exposure to sunlight leading to lack of protection.
Oxybenzone and Octocrylene: These are both known to cause allergic reactions. Oxybenzone has bad effects on the coral reefs and has been band in Hawaii because of this reason.
Octinoxate and homosalte: Both ingredients are known to be a hormone disruptor.
APPROVED FILTERS – MEDIK8 only use the following organic / chemical filters which are safe for your skin and the environment. Ensuring high protection from both UVB and UVA.
· Tinosorb S
· Uvinual T150
· Unvinul A Plus
· Eusolex 232
· Non – nano zinc oxide
· Non – nano titanium dioxoide
The above filters are –
1. Highly photo stable
2. Give high UVA protection
3. Ultra-safe (non-endocrine disruptors or non –irritating)
4. Non-Nano (does not penetrate into the blood stream)
5. Coral reef safe – 14,000 tonnes are washed off in the ocean each yr. DON’T USE Oxybenzone, Octinoxate and Nano zinc oxide which are popular filters found to damage corals causing bleaching.
6. Providing extra protection
- Anti-pollution: pollution is so common in general life from just being around dust, smoke, free radicals and many more. Pollution can cause skin ageing which is why Medik8 added Marribium Vulgare Extract which is a pollution blocker that can help to stop ageing.
- Anti-glycation: Glycation can cause skin ageing from all the sugars we eat in our diets. Medik8 has included the ingredient, Carnosine to prevent glycation which is the reaction of sugars with proteins and stops the crosslinking of collagen
- Anti –infrared: Infrared radiation causes loss of elasticity and skin firmness leading to fine lines and wrinkles. Carnosine is also able to inhibit MMP-1 (an enzyme) that breaks down collagen therefore protects the skin from the collagen breakdown
- Anti – blue light: blue light can cause premature skin ageing – Theobroma Cocoa seed extract provides blue light protection, along with improving our collagen and elastin networks
Medik8 incorporated sunscreen filters into elegant formulations with lightweight & non-greasy textures to fit into your everyday morning routine. Thankyou for taking the time to learn more about the importance of daily sunscreen use and I'm super excited for you to use our physical sunscreen that I'm know you will absolutely love and is safe for your skin and body.
- Classic Kiara